Sunday, June 26, 2011

Love And Food, All A Bird Needs

My pet's food is essential to his good health and
equally important to me. I take my
responsibilities as a pet owner very seriously,
as all pet owners should. Those who have never
owned or raised birds before may not realize
that the avian diet is unique from that of other
pets such as dogs and cats.

To keep a pet bird healthy and help him achieve
his maximum life span he needs a lot more
nutrition than seeds can offer. This is why my
pet's food consists of an enriched pelleted
formula, supplemented by fresh fruits and
vegetables. He also gets some whole grains as
well. To keep my Amazon parrot happy, Rico also
gets healthy treats such as almonds and other
nuts. He enjoys treats such as milletand honey
sticks but only ocassionally.

My pet's food must also be fresh and free of
crumbs. Rico also had access to fresh clean
water at all times. The dishes my pet eats from
are cleaned and disinfected regularly. This is
equally important to my parrot's well being.

There are certain foods a pet bird should never
consume due to toxicity. Chocolate and avocado
are a few of the foods that are definitely off
limits. Foods containing high levels of sugar
and caffeine are also on my pet parrot's
forbidden list. I love my parrot and I want him
to be an active part of my life for a very long
time.

Rico loves cooked oatmeal. I ocassionally allow
him to have some because it is good for him.
There's just one stipulation, according to Rico.
He will only eat his oatmeal if it is served to
him on a spoon. My spoon, from my own breakfast
bowl.

It might seem extreme to some people who
believe I am catering to a bird. I don't see out
that way, however. I'm just doing what comes
natural for this pet lover. Rico loves me for my
devotion, this I know. He flew over to me moments
ago, landing on my shoulder and snuggling against
my neck.

Some people may think it is comical to watch me
painstakingly hand pick my pet's food at the
store. I admit it is often quite a show. To
other bird owners however, it is nothing short
of a labor of love. We all know and understand
how much it means to choose only the best for
ours beloved feathered friends. Sure we take our
own sweet time sifting through the best birdie
blends, but the end result is well worth the
time and effort.

There is an avian gourmet specialty pet food
store I like to shop at for some rare treats for
my parrot. It is truly a tropical paradise and
treasure trove of culinary delights for the
parrot with discriminating taste. I do not mind
admitting I have spent more than a few hours and
more than a few hard earned dollars walking the
aisles in search of Rico's favorite bird foods.

My reward for my labor of love as I hand select
my parrot's dinner? No, it is not a sloppy luck
on the face or a wagging tail. It is however,
the sweetest sound to my ears when my lovable
parrot greets me with his cheerful affectionate
hello as I walk in the door.


----------------------------------------------------
A reference for pet food used in the article is
from Dodsonandhorrellpetfood.co.uk<br
/>http://www.dodsonandhorrellpetfood.co.uk<br
/>&nbsp;

EasyPublish this article: http://submityourarticle.com/articles/easypublish.php?art_id=187306

>
AddThis Social Bookmark Button

0 comments: