There are many ways of raising ducks. The
simplest method requires little capital input,
where ducks are raised in the farmyard as part
of a mixed farm. This is the so-called free
range system. Between these two extremes
there are many different forms in which the
ducks are offered an indoor shelter and a run in
which they can go outside. At the
other extreme, large-scale, capital-intensive
duck rearing can take place on a farm on which
only ducks are raised inside a covered shelter
or confined indoor system. In order to decide
how to raise ducks, a farmer or extension worker
needs to consider a number of points:
1) Are the ducks intended for your own use or do
you also want to sell a duck product?
2) If you are considering keeping ducks in order
to sell their products it is important to know
whether there is a market for the eggs or meat.
3) Will duck rearing fit in with the rest of
your activities? Do you have room for ducks?
4) Not only do you need room for shelter and a
water supply for the ducks, but their daily care
also takes time and may get in the way of other
5) Where will you get your ducklings in order to
maintain a stock?
6) Will you breed yourself or will you buy
ducklings when you need them?
7) If you plan on buying them, can you be sure
that there will be a regular supply in the
8) If a trader or breeder cannot guarantee that
ducklings will be available in the future, you
have to consider breeding ducks yourself.
9) Can you provide the time and care to do so?
10) What will you feed the ducks?
11) Where can you obtain feed?
12) Do you have sufficient food available on
your own farm or will you have to buy some types
13) Ducks are capable of scavenging for a large
part of the food themselves, but it is often
necessary to give them extra in the dry season.
14) If ducks are free range they are more likely
to suffer from a shortage of vitamins or
You should be knowledgeable about ducks' nature,
eating habits and other important facts if you
intend to raise ducks. There are also a lot of
tips that will tell you how to raise ducks. You
need to learn how to make them happy. One
example is that ducks are social birds and
should not be raised alone. A lone duck may feel
lonely and show awkward, shy behavior. Be sure to
raise it with a partner. It may be wise to keep
one male and several females.
If you are keen to learn more about duck raising,
please visit: http://www.howtoraiseducks.com
EasyPublish this article: http://submityourarticle.com/articles/easypublish.php?art_id=223415>